Thanks to Luke McIntosh, it finally happened.
McIntosh, the starting catcher for the Ottumwa baseball team, blasted the team’s first home run of the season in his team’s 6-1 non-conference win at Bettendorf Tuesday.
“We played a very solid game,” Ottumwa coach Mike Egbert said.
The home run blast wasn’t all McIntosh did at the plate. The Bulldog clean-up hitter also accounted for almost half of his team’s hits, going 4-for-4 at the plate and driving in three RBI.
Collin Schulz and Karsten VanVelsor both had doubles for Ottumwa. Bulldog pitcher Derek Craff picked up the win, giving up one run on four hits while striking out six in seven innings. Bettendorf’s only run of the game came in the bottom of the first.
The Bulldogs scored three in the fourth, two in the fifth and one in the seven.
“Derek Craff really pitched solidly and Lucas McIntosh finally got us off the home-run snide,” Bulldog coach Mike Egbert said. “We didn’t make a huge deal about it. We want to hit a line drive and put the ball in play.”
The game was scheduled to be a doubleheader, but the second games was not played.
Ottumwa (17-11, 8-6) hosts Des Moines Roosevelt in a CIML Metro conference game Thursday at Legion Memorial Field — which should be repaired and ready to go after damage done in recent windstorms.
“Getting Roosevelt down here for two big conference games and two big seeding games is good preparation for substate.” Egbert said. “We want to put ourselves in the best position possible for the postseason.”
Ottumwa 6, Bettendorf 1
Ott 000 320 1 — 6 9 1
Bett 100 000 0 — 1 4 1
Ott Team battery — Derek Craff (W) (7IP, 4H, 1R, 1ER, 6K, 3BB), Luke McIntosh catching.
2B — Collin Schulz, Tyler Ollum, Karsten VanVelsor.
HR — Luke McIntosh
Hits — Schulz 1-for-4, Kyle Keck 1-for-4, McIntosh 4-for-4, Michael Collins 1-for-4, Ollum 1-for-3, VanVelsor 1-for-3.
RBI — McIntosh 3, Ollum, VanVelsor. Runs — Schulz, Keck, McIntosh, Collins, Ollum, Cody Miller.
Bettendorf battery — Kris Klabunde (L) (5IP, 7H, 5R, 5ER, 1K, 1BB), Justin Hill (2IP, 2H, OR, OER, 3K, OBB)
2B — Alex Beals.
Hits — Beals 1-for-3, Matt Albert 1-for-2, Cam Wernentin 1-for-3, Trey Mullenburg 1-for-2.
RBI — M. Albert. Runs — A. Beals.
Thanks to Luke McIntosh, it finally happened.
Blue Demon relay team makes history; Centerville's Busch repeats in 800
Albia claimed the first state championship in boys track and field history on Saturday in the final race of the season.
- Seniors send Bulldog boys tennis careers out with Metro title OTTUMWA — It's not often players get to walk off the court following a win at this time of the year. In fact, if you're a high school tennis player in the state of Iowa, only those competing a the state singles, doubles or team tournament levels get
- On Tap Monday Girls Golf Class 5A Regional Final Round Ottumwa at Cedar Rapids Washington, 10 a.m. Class 4A Regional Final Round Centerville and Fairfield at Oskaloosa, 10 a.m. Class 3A Regional Final Round Albia at Chariton, 10 a.m. Class 1A Regional Final Round
- On Tap Saturday Girls and Boys Track State Meet Centerville, Fairfield, Oskaloosa, Albia, Davis County, Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont, Moravia, North Mahaska, Sigourney, Pekin and Van Buren at Des Moines, 9 a.m. Girls Tennis Class 1A Regional Team Finals Fairfield vs
- Centerville defends distance medley title; Schwartz savors high jump crown DES MOINES -- No matter how many times they may have dreamed about it, no matter how many times they may have ran the moment through in their minds, nothing prepares an athlete for that special moment when they achieve an accomplishment as special as
- Warrior golfers in 12th heading into final round at NJCAA Tourney LUBBOCK, Texas -- With so many shots separating his team from tournament leader Midland, Indian Hills head golf coach Mike Hagen figured it would take a very low round to catch up. "Getting off to that tough start and digging ourselves a hole (to st
- Bulldog girls tennis fall short in Metro showdown with Roosevelt DES MOINES -- Depth and doubles play. It's exactly what put the Ottumwa girls tennis team in position to run the table in the CIML Metro Conference play this season. In what would be their final match of the season, the Bulldog girls gave their doubl
- The Pit Stop returns for 2013 Hello race fans and welcome to the first edition of The Pit Stop for 2013. It has been a very long winter and I, along with just about everyone I speak to, are ready to get out and head to the race track for some races. Three of the five local race t
- Centerville boys golf advances to state WILLIAMSBURG -- A Centerville Big Reds golf team hasn't been present at the state golf meet since 1977. That streak ends in 2013, as the Centerville Big Reds carded 330 to place third in the district tournament on Friday. Since host school Williamsbu
Warrior golfers finish 11th at nationals; White finishes as All-American
Every break and every shot they needed, they found each of the past two years to win a national title.
- More Sports Headlines
- Blue Demon relay team makes history; Centerville's Busch repeats in 800