Add one final high honor for Davis County’s Calvin Mathews.
The Iowa High School Baseball Coaches Association (IHSBCA) named Mathews the 2012 Player of the Year when it released its 2012 All-State team on Friday.
Mathews, who was named the Iowa Gatorade Player of the Year in June and was named captain of the Class 2A all-state team by the Iowa Newspaper Association at the end of July, finished the season with a 13-1 record. The Mustangs were 42-2 and advanced to the state semifinals after winning the state title in 2011.
The senior is joined on the IHSBCA’s elite 2012 All-State “Super Team” by teammate Josh Martsching, also a senior, who was named to the elite squad as a shortstop. The two will continue as teammates in college, as both have committed to play baseball at The University of Iowa.
Another Mustang senior, Jacob Davidson, was named to the first team in Class 2A.
Martsching was also a pitcher for Davis County as well as a solid shortstop, and the he and Mathews provided what was arguably the most feared one-two pitching combination in the state of Iowa over the last three seasons. They duo finished a combined 26-1 in 2012. Mathews fanned 187 batters and boasted a 0.67 ERA. Martsching ended his season with an untarnished 13-0 record, 112 strikeouts and a 0.90 ERA.
At the plate, Martsching led Davis County with a .591 on-base percentage and ranked second with a .500 batting average and 50 RBI. He ranked second on the team in a number of other offensive categories including hits, 65; doubles, 17; slugging percentage, .762.
Mathews led Davis County with 11 homers and 59 RBI. In addition, he led the Mustangs in doubles with 17, batted .460 and stroked 58 hits.
Davidson boasted the team’s highest batting average of .519. He also led Davis County with 70 hits, a .652 slugging percentage and a .589 on-base percentage.
In Class 1A, North Mahaska pitcher Trent Roose was named to the second team. Roose was 11-1 with a 1.09 ERA and fanned 129 batters. At the plate, he led the Warhawks with a .524 batting average, .881 slugging percentage, .596 on-base percentage, 16 doubles and 44 hits.
Iowa High School Baseball Coaches Association 2012 All-State Team
Pro-Line/IHSBCA Player of the Year Award
Calvin Mathews, Davis County
Lanny Peterson All-Academic Award
Ryan Kemp, Keokuk
2012 All-State “Super Team”
Pitchers — Jacob Hadaway, North Polk , Jr; Tyler Peyton, Dallas Center-Grimes, Sr; Calvin Mathews, Davis County, Sr
Catcher — Jake Stenberg, Benton Community, Sr
Infield: 1B — JD Nielsen, Martensdale-St. Mary’s, Sr ; 2B — Reid Bonner, Iowa City West, Jr; SS — Josh Martsching, Davis County, Sr; 3B — Nate Steger, Dyersville-Beckman, Sr
Outfielders — Paul Jacobson, Sioux City Heelan, Sr; Ryan Lehmann, Western Dubuque, Sr; Jake Greco, North Fayette, Sr; Will Gormally, Ft. Dodge, Sr
Utilities — Austin Vaske, Bishop Garrigan, Sr; Ozzie Adams, Clear Lake , Sr; Alex Hayden, Cedar Rapids Kennedy, Sr.
Pitchers — Nick Belzer, Ankeny, Jr; Jake Stolley, Linn-Mar, Sr; Tyler Vaughn, Ft. Dodge, Jr
Catchers — Zach Fricke, Waterloo West, Jr; Joel Lanning , Ankeny, Jr
Infield: 1B— Cody Bell, Cedar Rapids Kennedy, Sr; 2B — Brock Brade, North Scott, Sr; SS — Casey Addelia, Pleasant Valley, Sr; 3B — Dylan Merritt , Dubuque Senior, Sr
Outfielders — Zach Coppola, West DM Dowling, Sr; Josh Jahlas, Cedar Rapids Kennedy, Sr; Dom Thompson-Williams, Sioux City East, Jr; Jason Velvick, Cedar Rapids Prairie, Sr
Utilities — Kyle Carnahan, Marshalltown, Sr; Brennan Hammer, Cedar Rapids Prairie, Jr; Matt Johnson, Ankeny, Jr.
Pitchers — Kendall Hazel, Sgt. Bluff-Luton, Sr; Alec Rash, ADM, Sr; Dynas Doud, Dallas Center-Grimes, Sr
Catchers — Alec Zwanziger , New Hampton, Sr; Tyler Cropley, Sioux City Heelan, Soph
Infield: 1B — Robert Lyons, Denison, Jr; 2B — Tyler Willis, Waverly-Shell Rock, Sr; SS — Mitch Moser, Benton Community, Jr; 3B — Mike Nicolay, Oelwein, Sr
Outfielders — Tyler Morrison, West Delaware, Sr; Ryan Kemp, Keokuk, Sr; Bryce Rose, Keokuk, Sr; Tanner Truesdell, Clear Lake, Sr
Utilities — Alec Forbes, Glenwood, Sr; Tony Myers, Sioux City Heelan, Sr; Dylan Nelson, ADM, Jr
Pitchers — Josh Turner, Ogden, Sr; Cale Henke, Hudson, Sr; Chris Halbur, Kuemper, Carroll,Jr
Catchers — DJ Fulton, Northeast, Sr; Lucas Jacque, Dyersville-Beckman, Sr
Infield: 1B — George Sehl, Iowa City Regina, Sr; 2B — Jacob Davidson, Davis County, Sr; SS — Kyle Whitman, Maquoketa Valley, Sr; 3B — Noah Pickard, North Polk, Sr
Outfielders — Jalen Henningsen, Alta-Aurelia, Sr; Brandon VanZandt, Wilton, Sr; Robbie Anstoetter, Dyersville-Beckman, Sr; Bo Bower, West Branch, Jr
Utilities — Craig Konrardy, Waterloo Columbus, Sr; Grant Lang, North Polk, Soph; Dakotah Wolken, East Marshall, Sr
Pitchers — Marshall Morgan, Lisbon, Sr; Collin Thomas, Pleasantville, Sr; Gage Reis, Coon Rapids-Bayard, Sr
Catchers — Dylan Lower , Lawton-Bronson, Sr; Zeb Noel, Martensdale-St. Mary’s, Sr
Infield: 1B — Zach Gibson, Montezuma, Jr ; 2B — Kolbi Kohl, Lisbon, Sr; SS — Brandon Brittain, Van Meter, Soph; 3B — Beau Pick m Remsen St. Mary’s, Sr
Outfielders — Ben Hecker, St. Albert, Sr ; Luke Skinner, Lawton-Bronson, Sr; Jordan Bahl, Lisbon, Sr; Jake Adams, Mason City Newman, Sr
Utilities — Brady Klein, Notre Dame, Sr; Cole Chapin, Treynor, Sr; Spencer Gritsch, BGM, Sr
Area Second Team
Pitcher — Trent Roose, North Mahaska, Soph.
Add one final high honor for Davis County’s Calvin Mathews.
- Ottumwa junior varsity softball sweeps Davis County
- Big second inning lifts Bulldogs to easy victory over Fairfield
Tri-County edges Lynnville-Sully late
Jake Brumbaugh was strong at the plate and on the hill in carrying Tri-County to a 3-2 victory over Lynnville-Sully on Friday.
Pekin powers past Lone Tree
The Pekin softball team needed just five hits, but took advantage of five Lone Tree errors to put 11 runs on the board on Friday.
- Ottumwa Red junior varsity sweeps Fairfield, white squad splits games FAIRFIELD --The Ottumwa red junior varsity team swept Fairfield in a doubleheader Thursday, squeaking by the Trojans 2-1 in the first game and crushing the Fairfield 16-8 in the nightcap. Kirsten Mincks gave up one run on four hits while striking out
- Unbeaten Twin Cedars takes first at tournament MURRAY -- The Twin Cedars baseball team picked up a pair of convincing victories Thursday in a tournament at Murray. The Sabers crushed Mt. Ayr. 15-3 in five innings in their first game, and they trounced Murray 11-1 in six innings in the tournament
- McDanel, Moravia shuts down Seymour MORAVIA - Stepping in for an ace pitcher with the ability to play at the Division I level, freshman Autumn McDanel stepped right up for the Moravia softball team in their season opener against Bluegrass rival Seymour on Tuesday. Taking over for curre
- Elder stays in park for second slam in Comets win DANVILLE - Two nights and two games into the season, Brennon Elder has had the two biggest hits of the season for the Cardinal baseball team. After drilling a grand slam homer out of Cardinal High School's baseball diamond in their season-opening win
- New-look Pioneers prepare to continue state tennis traditions FAIRFIELD - Names change. Expectations do not for the Fairfield Maharishi boys tennis program. So even in a season that began with the program starting with as big a change as it has gone through in some time, the end result is still the same as it's
Centerville linksters head to state competition
CENTERVILLE -- The Centerville boys golf team made history when it became the first team from the program to qualify for state since 1977. The Big Reds will try to parlay that momentous feat into a successful showing at the Class 3A State Tournament
- More Sports Headlines