Helen I. Brooks, 93, of Brooklyn, died Feb. 13, 2012.
Helen Irene Richardson was born May 9, 1918, in Polk City, the daughter of Major Ira and Hazel Maude (Law) Richardson. Helen married Elsworth Franklin Brooks on April 16, 1938. She enjoyed several years as a homemaker for her family. They were the parents of three children, Vivian, Karen and Dennis.
She attended schools in Rutland and Stacyville before moving to Davis County in 1929, where she graduated from the Troy High School in 1936. She attended Parsons College in Fairfield and taught in the White Elm Country School before moving to Brooklyn in 1952. In 1955, Helen answered the call to teach at Madison #6. All of the children were in school, and she could return to what became a lifelong career and love of teaching. This career in education was very rewarding for her. During this time, she returned to continue her education and graduated from the University of Iowa in June 1964. She was an early recipient of the Charles Martin award in 1977. She also taught 28 years in the BGM school system, where she retired in 1983. Accomplishments that she made in the elementary program were instrumental in the introduction of physical education, penmanship and departmentalizing for the middle grades. She felt this allowed the teacher to practice in their area of interest and prepared the students for an easier transition to junior high classes. Helen met many people during her term as Adult Basic Educator at Diamond Life Care Facility in Montezuma and General Education Development (GED) in Grinnell and Brooklyn for Iowa Valley Community College of Marshalltown. In 1998, she received the A+ Excellence in Education award from KCRG-TV. She retired the last time from IVCCD in December 2001.
Helen was not only a dedicated teacher for her students but assisted many of her co-educators in benefits, professional problems, challenges and frustrations. Helen was a member of the Madison Church of Christ, where she served as superintendent of the Junior Bible School Hour, Daily Vacation Bible School leader and was high school Bible class teacher for several years. She was a member of and served as an officer for the Columbian club, Delta Kappa Gamma, Iowa State Educational Association, National Education Association and the Poweshiek Retired School Personnel Association, which she served as president of from 2003-04. She also served as a member of the GRMC Home Health Advisory Board. Of all the many awards and recognitions, the contacts she received from former students were the most cherished and rewarding to Helen throughout her years of retirement. In July 2007, she moved to Red Bluff, Calif., to be closer to family and most recently to Las Vegas, Nev.
Helen is survived by her son, Dennis (Marcia) Brooks; one brother, Merle (Lucille) Richardson; eight grandchildren, Michelle (Bob) Wilke, Mark O’Halloran, Mike (Jennifer) O’Halloran, Rodney Robey, Daniel Robey, David Robey, Lisa Brooks and Heather (Jason) Miller; nine great-grandchildren, Wesley, Justin, Nicholas, Kelle, Brian, Nikki, Lauren, Aaron and T.J.; and many nieces and nephews who have been so supportive and faithful.
She was preceded in death by her husband; daughters, Vivian (Charles) Molner and Karen (John) Robey; three brothers; two sisters; and two sisters-in-law.
A memorial service will be at 10 a.m. Saturday at Kloster Funeral Home in Brooklyn; with Dennis Smith officiating. Inurnment will be at the Brooklyn Memorial Cemetery.
In honor of her lifetime career of teaching and spiritual beliefs, memorials will be given to Madison Church of Christ and Citizens Scholarship Fund of the BGM Community School District.
Online condolences may be extended to the family at www.klosterfuneralhome.com.
Helen I. Brooks, 93, of Brooklyn, died Feb. 13, 2012.
- Robert Moffet OSKALOOSA — Robert Moffet, 83, of Oskaloosa died May 23, 2013, at the MHP Emergency Room in Oskaloosa. He was born July 16, 1929 in rural Mahaska County, the son of Albert and Bertha Wassenhoven Moffet. Early in life he worked on the family farm. O
- Martha Burtlow HEDRICK — Martha Burtlow, 79, of Hedrick, died May 24, 2013 at Serenity House in Oskaloosa. Services are pending at the Fremont Funeral Chapel.
- Ellen Buck EDDYVILLE — Ellen Ruth Buck, 80, of 507 Vance St., died May 23, 2013 at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. She was born Jan. 31, 1933 in Ottumwa to Clarence and Mollie Nelson Eaves. She married Arthur M. Buck on Nov. 15, 1976. El
OSKALOOSA — Florence Lillian Voss, 88, of Oskaloosa, died May 19, 2013 at the MHP Hospice Serenity House in Oskaloosa. She was born Sept. 16, 1924 in Estherville the daughter of Fredrick and Lavina McFadden Newman. She attended school at Ottumwa Hig
- Emogene Olinger OTTUMWA — Emogene Elaine Olinger, 88, formerly of 118 S. Union St., died at 10:55 a.m. May 23, 2013 at The Good Samaritan Society-Ottumwa She was born Dec. 4, 1924 in Ottumwa to Cornelius and Minnie Morgan Hourihan. She married James Olinger on Oct
- Mary Knowles ALBIA — Mary Catherine Knowles, 65, of Albia, died May 23, 2013 under the care of Monroe County Hospice at her home in Albia. A Mass of Christian Burial will be 10 a.m. Tuesday at St. Mary’s Catholic Church in Albia; Fr. Michael E. Volkmer, C.PP.S. o
- Emogene Olinger OTTUMWA — Emogene E. Olinger, 88, formerly of 118 S. Union St., died at 10:55 a.m. May 23, 2013 at The Good Samaritan Society-Ottumwa. Funeral services will be 2 p.m. Sunday at Reece Funeral Home with Emogene's daughter-in-law, Rev. Donna Olinger of
- Sylvia Adams SIGOURNEY — Sylvia Adams, 94, of Sigourney, died May 21, 2013 at Sigourney Care Center. Funeral arrangements are pending with Powell Funeral Home and Cremation Service in Sigourney.
- Earl Horras RICHLAND — Earl Bernard Horras, 77, of Richland, died May 21, 2013, at St Luke’s Hospice Center in Cedar Rapids. He was born at home on May 29, 1935, in rural Keokuk County to Walter and Edna (Sieren) Horras. He lived in Keokuk, Washington and Jeffe
OTTUMWA — H. Elsie Simpson, 88, formerly of 118 Grand Ave., and of Prairie Hills Assisted Living, died at 10:22 p.m. May 22, 2013 at Hospice House in Ottumwa. She was born June 3, 1924 in Albia; the daughter of A. Harold and Grace Maude Ryun Fry. Sh
- More Obituaries Headlines