Farewell, Chief Wapello
Secondary roads workers loaded Chief Wapello into a trailer Thursday afternoon for his trip to Omaha, Neb., to be repaired and restored. Wapello County Supervisor Jerry Parker said the statue’s “operation” will likely last through the winter and spring. Jensen Conservation Services will work to restore the chief so he’s historically accurate. No parts will be manufactured to be added to the statue, Parker said. He also hopes the chief will be painted his original red color, instead of gold, as some have suggested. Once he’s back, he’ll be on display on the first floor of the courthouse and will then be secured to his perch over the city at a later date.
- Wapello County
Agency couple has provided foster care for 38 kids in last decade
AGENCY — School pictures of 38 grinning children look out into Angie and Terry Hamm's living room, evidence of the years of work and love they've given to those who needed it most. Their house — currently filled with five children, ages 7, 10, 10, 11
Severe weather returns to forecast
OTTUMWA — The National Weather Service believes severe weather could return to Iowa this weekend. The storms are expected to arrive late in the weekend and could extend into the next work week. Meteorologist Kurt Kotenberg said Sunday and Monday have
Health clinic in Ottumwa joins Mercy Medical
OTTUMWA — Though their future was uncertain, two local health care practices will continue without any interruption in services to patients and will remain at their current locations in Ottumwa. Ottumwa Internal Medicine North and Ottumwa Family Prac
- 90th Street closed until 2014 OTTUMWA — Not only is 90th Street closed for this summer, it's also closed until the summer of 2014. Wapello County Engineer Brian Moore said Wednesday that the road will be closed for a year while Moore and his team work on the road's design. "There
Iowa Supreme Court rejects appeal
DES MOINES – The Iowa Supreme Court has rejected an appeal bid by a Wapello County man previously found to be a sexually violent predator. Cory Blake West was convicted of assault with intent to commit sexual abuse in 2008. He was sentenced to four y
- Board to discuss DHS contract and tourism letter OTTUMWA — Wapello County Supervisor Greg Kenning said a contract with Department of Human Services (DHS) will probably be the main event when the board meets at 5:30 p.m. today in the Wapello County Courthouse. He indicated the DHS contract will pro
SLIDESHOW: Race for the Cure
OTTUMWA -- This year's Race for the Cure faced unusually chilly weather, but that didn't deter people from turning out. The annual event brought in runners from across the region.
Race for the Cure endures chilly weekend
OTTUMWA -- Hundreds of people endured cold winds Saturday in Ottumwa Park. Why would they do this? Because the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure was there. They crowded into the Jimmy Jones Shelter House and waited for an event, whether it was the one-mile Family Run/Walk, the Co-Ed 5K Run/Walk or the Kids' Fun Run.
- Official emphasizes routine mammograms, self-exams OTTUMWA —The Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure starts at 7 a.m. Saturday in the Jimmy Jones Shelter in Ottumwa Park, and Lynelle Diers hopes everyone will "keep up mammograms." Diers, the executive director of Wapello County Public Health, said Thursd
Community health nurses treat and teach
OTTUMWA — Pick up somebody's gross germs from a doorknob, and there are plenty of nurses who will treat the resulting cold. But some nurses will add in a lesson on hand washing. "We're teaching things to avoid communicable illness," said Jacquelyn Po
- More Wapello County Headlines
- Agency couple has provided foster care for 38 kids in last decade